Minutes of the 76th Annual General Meeting of the Oxford & Cambridge Sailing Society at Kellogg College, Oxford, on Saturday 1st October 2016, being the 82nd anniversary of the Society
The President took the Chair and the meeting began at 19:14hrs with 38 members present. Apologies were received from Anthony Lunch and Jeremy Atkins.
- Minutes of the Last Meeting
- The minutes of the last meeting were approved by acclamation.
- President’s Report
- The President was delighted to welcome several new members to the Society: Christopher Eames, Robbie Gilmore, Hannah Bibby, Bryan Ormond, Will Reid (Cambridge), and Guy Stephens, Matt Ely and Janie Smallridge (Oxford).
- It had been a good year for the Society:
- Collaborative OCSS, OUYC and CUCrC drinks in London in the Spring run for the third time.
- Society team came 8th at the 2016 Wilson Trophy – John Platts-Mills, Becky Cross, Peter Gray, Ben Gratton
- Katie Nurton won the POW cup in the International 14 class, Roger Gilbert was 2nd and Archie Massey 3rd in the overall series.
- Richard Thompson 1st in the Swallow fleet at Cowes, Claire Lasko and Honor Fell 3rd in the J70 class
- Luke and Emma McEwan won the RS800 European Championships at Garda, as well as the UK Championships, while Fiona Hampshire came 2nd at Garda crewing for Tim Saxton.
- Port Report
- Katie Nurton offered a verbal report to the AGM. Port stocks are good, with a budget to fill any gaps that will be spent later this year when port stocks are released. Tonight’s port: We are drinking a 1997 Smith and Woodhouse, one of the old-school port houses, an excellent vintage, looking fantastic in the bottle. It was founded by the Mayor of London in the 1740s.
- Treasurer’s Report
- Given by Claire Lasko. One set of Accounts were made available for all members, Investments are doing well, with so many new members joining. The £300 contribution to the Wilson entry was well regarded by all, as was the small profit on the dinner (of £15)
- It was noted by the President that the increase in dinner ticket price that was due to a forgotten VAT issue by Kellogg College and that we we would see if we could get a better meal elsewhere next year.
- Election of the President
- Mark Struckett was proposed by Will Henderson, seconded by general acclamation. The Society pendant was handed over. Thanks were expressed by Mark to the departing President
- Fiona Hampshire was proposed as the new Hon. Secretary by Felix Danczak, and seconded by General acclamation.
- Claire Lasko was willing to continue to stand as Hon. Treasurer.
- Committee Elections
- Phil Derry and Lottie Rapson were elected newly to the committee, alongside Katie Nurton, Ed Grieg-Gran, Tom Low all re-elected.
- Tom Low – investments are doing rather well with excellent dividend yield. No reason to change any current strategy.
Anthony Butler proposed a vote of thanks to the President for his obliging conduct in the chair, which was passed with acclamation.
The meeting closed at 19:27hrs